Monday, September 27, 2004

2 days before departure

As we prepare to take Alex back to Shanghai the 2nd time since his arrival in our lives, the long dormant writer inside me awoke. I can't deny perhaps this is brought on by my recently found interest in reading politically charged books which my left-wing sister keeps leaving behind intentionally or order for me (i.e., Fast Food Nation and Micheal Moore's best sellers). Whether you view it as a journal or a blog of our journey, I plan to bring to you the daily (or every other day) accounts of the events as an extremely subjective (entertaining) journalist (a dream assignment of any journalist, no doubt).

As globalization quickly engulfs the small planet we inhabit on, homogenizes every country and city with the same stores, merchandise and value system, I find myself incapable of choosing any commodity either in China or in the U.S. to bring with me as suitable gifts for everyone here or in Shanghai. What can't you find here in California's ever-growing chain of 99 Ranch market and Asian gift shops that you cannot find in Shanghai? Afterall, if it is not FDA approved, do I dare to risk anyone's health here with potential SARs or bird flu infection... And what practical gifts can I possibly find here in California that you cannot find equivalents for in Shanghai's US or other foreign establishments? The best option I came up with is Sharper Image's ionic air filter for my all too health conscious parents and the infamous US grown Hua Qi ginseng for my grandmother who lives in China. Wasn't it used to be people brought ginseng from China to America? My parents, on the other hand who specified the make and model of their gift, are more Americanized than I am these days. They're afterall, business owners now, who must play by the rule of a extremly energized capitalistic and corrupt economic system.

Therefore, my best offer is to simply share with you my trip itself accompanied with all my 2 cents of opinion on everything.

If a picture can really tell what a thousand words can't, then maybe I'm wasting my time. I will for sure have plenty of pictures from the trip that I can share with you all. However a picture is really nothing more than a picture these days. As if our lives are not so bombarded as is by hundreds and thousands of pictures daily from every possible media channel we're exposed to, including our own family members who refuse to write instead just snap with their latest acquisition from BestBuy or The Good Guys, me included. Words, personal letters, however have never seemed more precious to me these days.

Obviously, this choice of gift requires more precious time from both side. If you choose not to read this blog forced upon you, please tell me and I promise my feelings won't be hurt and I'll cross your name off of my address book forever....! J/K :)

--------------2 days before departure, Sunday, 9/26/2004, 4:00 am --------------------------
Maybe now I can finally go to sleep...

No comments: